Nitrous oxide/oxygen, or what you may know as laughing gas, is used to help the child relax for their dental treatment. Nitrous oxide/oxygen is a blend of two gases, oxygen and nitrous oxide. Nitrous oxide/oxygen is given through a small breathing mask which is placed over the child’s nose, allowing them to relax, but without putting them to sleep. While inhaling nitrous oxide/oxygen, your child remains fully conscious and keeps all natural reflexes. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recognizes this technique as a very safe, effective technique to use for treating children’s dental care needs.
The objectives of nitrous oxide/oxygen inhalation include:
- reduce or eliminate anxiety;
- reduce untoward movement and reaction to dental treatment;
- enhance communication and patient cooperation;
- raise the pain reaction threshold;
- increase tolerance for longer appointments;
- aid in treatment of the mentally/physically disabled or medically compromised patient;
- reduce gagging;
- potentiate the effect of sedatives.
For more information go to AAPD.ORG
Preparing for your Nitrous Oxide appointment:
- Restrict your child from eating and drinking, 3hrs prior to their scheduled appointment.
- Please inform our team of any change to your child’s health/medical condition and/or there is any medical conditions that make breathing through the nose difficult.